Mar 11, 2021
In this bitter and botanical
deep dive with Keli Rivers and David T. Smith, we preview their new
book, Negroni, and
discuss the ins and outs of this classic equal-parts
Some of the topics we discuss
- The various origin stories of the Negroni -
both the conventional story about count Camillo Negroni, and also
some stunningly international accounts that cast doubt on when and
where this cocktail was truly invented, and by whom.
- What it’s like to assemble a cocktail book
during a pandemic, and why Negroni turned out to be a timely tool for home
bartenders affected by lockdowns and a lack of bars.
- The three primary buckets that all negronis can
fall into: perfect ratio through formulation, perfect ratio through
balance, and perfect ratio out the window.
- Some of the more exotic or avant-garde Negroni
recipes in the book, including tiki negronis, creamy negronis, and
even a negroni served hot.
- We learn the story behind Keli’s tattoo, the
importance of having a bottled negroni in the fridge at all times,
the virtues of gin and cola, and much, much more.