May 20, 2021
In this fascinating conversation
with author and historian Cecelia Tichi, some of the topics we
- What the Gilded Age is, and why this time
period was so important, not only for cocktail culture, but also in
laying the groundwork for the seismic events that would follow in
the early 20th century
- How Gilded Age Cocktails was conceived - and (spoiler alert), it may
have happened over the course of a few drinks.
- We talk about the equine origins of the word
“cocktail” and its interesting ties to concepts like genetic
pedigree and mongrel or mixed components.
- We consider the influence of universities,
private clubs, and trans-Atlantic travel on the spread and
cross-pollination of cocktail styles and recipes across
- We explore what the Gilded Age has in common
with today’s world of social media and rapid tech
- We admire the wardrobe and style of the
original cocktail influencer, Jerry Thomas
- And much, much more
This episode is also brought to you by
Provisions. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic
and want to enjoy ethically raised (and delicious) meat from local
farmers delivered to your door every month, then you need Near
Country in your life.
Head over to NearCountry.com and
enter the code BARCART when you
sign up for your subscription to receive 2 free pounds of bacon or
ground beef in your first delivery.