Jul 22, 2021
In this well-shuffled, cleanly
dealt interview with Dave Beck of Paverson Games, some of the
topics we discuss include:
- How a trip to Scotland sparked the idea for a
game that would challenge players to distill, age, and sell their
own spirits...all thanks to an inheritance from a long-lost
- Why Distilled is considered a “medium weight, Euro-style
game, and what it looks like to make booze using cards, tokens, and
- How the Kickstarter campaign for this product
met its funding goal in less than an hour, on its way to eclipsing
that goal by over 15,000%.
- Which technical distilling processes were
creatively mixed into the game mechanics of Distilled, and which needed to be saved perhaps for a
future edition, including heads and tales cuts, the Angel’s share,
and pulling flavor notes from wood.
- How the game educates and introduces players to
spirits from different cultures, using avatars based on
historical distillers from around the world - all with special
recipe and abilities.
- Along the way, we talk about why American games
are so confrontational, the simple joy of summoning elevators, how
to order a proper brandy old fashioned at a Wisconsin supper club,
and much, much more.
- This episode is brought to you by Near Country
Provisions. If you live in the Mid-Atlantic
and want to enjoy ethically raised (and delicious) meat from local
farmers delivered to your door every month, then you need Near
Country in your life.
Head over to NearCountry.com and
enter the code BARCART when you
sign up for your subscription to receive 2 free pounds of bacon or
ground beef in your first delivery.